Because I’ve written (or have found) quite a few lists of ecologically oriented fiction, I thought I’d finally compile them for readers wanting to know about some of the best eco-fiction stories. There’s always the big database, too, where you can search by author, title, audience, genre, and more.
- Subscribe to our newsletter and get more recommendations each month.
- Where Water and Fictions Meet. A list I wrote, originally for the Italian Magazine ZEST, that explores eight novels where water is key.
- What Is Eco-fiction and Why it Matters. Some of my recommendations at Impakter.
- What We’re Reading: Earth Day 2021. Rewilding Our Stories Discord’s faves.
- Ecological Action Inspires Fiction at Ecology Action Centre, Nova Scotia. My look at a few Canadian authors in the genre.
- Eco-fiction Books Coming in 2021. Just what it says.
- Wilderness is a Necessity, Even in Fiction. My recommendations during the 2020 holidays at The Chicago Review of Books.
- Part 1, Around the World in 80 Books. My Medium article. See Part II here.
- My ongoing series Exploring World Eco-fiction, Climate Change and Beyond. This dates back to October 2016 in its earliest iteration when I was looking at climate change authors. In 2018 I extended this list to focus on more authors around the world rather than the narrower perspective that media was representing at the time.
- Exploring the Ecological Weird. My three-part article at SFFWorld.com: Part I, Part II, Part III.
- How Eco-fiction Became Realer than Realism, by Lynn Feeley at The Nation
- A Brief Guide to Ecofiction by BIPOC Authors, by Neha Patel at Book Riot
- Five Classic SFF Novels about Environmental Disaster, by James Davis Nicoll at Tor.com
- Nine Mysteries with Environment and Conservation Themes, by Elisa Shoenberger at Book Riot
- Ten Eco-Fiction Novels Worth Exploring, by Nina Munteanu at Tor.com
- Eight of the Best Ecological Thrillers, by Husrah Javed at Book Riot
- How 19th Century Fairy Tales Expressed Anxieties about Ecological Devastation, by Victoria Tedeschi at The Conversation
- Nine Nature Novels to Get Lost in, by Courtney Rodgers at Book Riot
- Ten Compelling Eco Fiction Reads, by Emily Stochl at Book Riot
- Top 10 Books of Eco-fiction, by Michael Christie at The Guardian
- What Is Eco Fiction? These Books Imagine the Scary Future of Climate Change, by Kristin Hunt at Green Matters
- Ten Works of Environmental Literature from Around the World, by Emily Stochl at Book Riot
- Australian Fiction Is Already Challenging the Idea that Catastrophic Bushfire is Normal, by Rachel Fetherston at The Guardian